I am a sucker for chocolate. Always have been. But now, because of Hashimoto’s Disease, I am trying to lead a healthier, less processed-sugary life.
Kate introduced me to Deliciously Ella a few months ago, and that site has been a game-changer. There are healthy versions of pretty much every snack that I love, and the best part is I know EXACTLY what goes into them. No funny, long ingredient lists with strange chemicals.
One of my favourite recipes is Ella’s Banana, Date and Almond Shake. It is super easy to make, and tastes so ridiculously good. It honestly doesn’t taste healthy at all. More like a creamy dessert.
I decided to try out my own version of this recipe, with a few omissions and additions, and I was pretty damn pleased with the results! Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
Cacao, Banana and Almond Milkshake
Ingredients and Method:
- 1 medium-size ripe banana – frozen or fresh (I use frozen as I like the texture it gives the shake)
- three-quarter cup of almond milk (or cow’s milk, if it agrees with you)
- 1 heaped teaspoon raw cacao powder (NOT cocoa powder)
- 3 pitted dates (I left mine soaking in 2 tablespoons of water in the fridge overnight, to make them softer)
- half teaspoon hemp powder
- half teaspoon flaxseed powder
Chuck it all into your blender, and blend until smooth.
If it is too thick, feel free to add a bit of water. You won’t taste either the flax or the hemp, just chocolatey-banana yumminess, but omit them if you don’t have or like them.
Pour and enjoy 🙂